Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Taco Tuesday (Well Sort Of)

Is it Tuesday again? The weeks are just flying by...its almost February! I didn't post yesterday since I had a bit of a catastrophe. Well, catastrophe may be a bit strong, but dinner didn't go quite as planned. In honor of Chinese new year, I decided to make potstickers from scratch. They weren't the worst things ever but lets just say that I'll leave it to the pros from now on. So, lets move on to today's menu and a realm that I am MUCH more comfortable in.

Tonight we are not having tacos (shock! horror!). But its Taco Tuesday, you say? Calm down, we're having my Chicken Tortilla Soup. It combines all the best things about tacos into a delicious soup. I've been making this soup for years now and its one of my most favorite recipes and I'm happy to share it with you now. I think I am also going to make Cornbread Pudding to go with the soup tonight.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 T oil
1/2 medium onion chopped fine
1 garlic clove diced
1 small can chopped green chilis
1 box chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne
1-2 Cups shredded or diced pre-cooked chicken
1/2 Salsa or Rotel
1 14 oz can corn
1 14 oz can beans of your choice
Salt and Pepper

Heat oil in large dutch oven. Saute onion, garlic and chilis until onions are translucent and fragrant. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and simmer until ready to serve.

Corn Pudding

1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernel corn
1 egg
6 T melted butter
8 oz sour cream or 4 oz cream cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a round 2 qt baking dish (like Corning ware). Combine all ingredients well, and transfer to baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and pudding is set.

Hope you enjoy this easy, prep ahead dinner. It smells so good in my house right now! Can't wait to eat! Have a good Tuesday, and remember to watch the State of the Union address tonight. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment