Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Meatloaf, meatloaf, double-beet loaf, I LOVE MEATLOAF!

Shout out to all those who recognize the nod to my favorite Christmas movie in the title of this post! Anyway, it is true- I LOVE meatloaf. Well, let me be more specific; I love my Granddad's meatloaf. I never knew my grandad since he passed away 3 years before I was born, but I feel close to him every time I have this meatloaf and feel like I know him in some way. Here is a picture of my grandma and grandad at their wedding.

Aren't they the cutest??

Anyway, back to the meatloaf. If I could chose the meal I could have before I die, this would be it. It reminds me of home, and love, and being cozy on a cold winter night. Its so simple but oh so good. Its slightly different than most meatloaf recipes because of one ingredient- oatmeal. It uses oats instead of breadcrumbs and I think it makes all the difference. They keep the meatloaf moist and tender without making it soggy. Try it, you won't be disappointed! On to the recipe!

Granddad's Meatloaf

2.5-3 lbs ground beef
1 large onion diced
2-3 large eggs
3 T Worcestershire sauce
1 package of McCormick's Meatloaf seasoning OR Lipton's Meaty Onion soup mix
2-3 C Oats (quick oats small size is best, but I have used the regular and it works fine as well)
3-3 tsp salt and pepper
Ketchup
Bacon strips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, blend ground beef, onion, meatloaf seasoning (or soup mix), eggs, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Make sure the mixture is mixed well then add oats in small batches. Use your hands to really mix well. Form into oblong shape, patting it together. Transfer to large oblong baking dish lined with non-stick aluminum foil. Spread ketchup over the top and add strips of bacon to cover.

Cover with lid (or foil) and bake for 1.5-2 hours. Juices should run clear when poked in the middle. Take the lid off the last 10-15 minutes to brown. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.

Tonight I am serving this with sauteed mushrooms, roasted potatoes and a package of antioxidant rich steamed veggies. The mushrooms are super simple. Simply wipe mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel and remove stems and slice. Heat a few tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add sliced mushrooms to the pan and saute until golden brown. De-glaze the pan with a few tablespoons of red wine, let the wine evaporate and then serve!

The potatoes are even easier- just cut red potatoes in half and season with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Spread onto a non-stick foiled baking sheet and roast in oven at 400 degrees until they are golden brown and fork tender. I usually stir them occasionally while they are roasting.

So that's dinner tonight! I like meals like this because I can have the meatloaf and potatoes in the oven at the same time and I just need to start the mushrooms about 10 minutes before we are ready to eat. Everything comes together with this meal over time so I don't feel like I'm scrambling at the last minute to get everything to come out at the same time. I hope you enjoy these recipes- I know I will! I can't wait for dinner tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment