Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Eatzy Dessert!

I try to have a dessert on hand every night. I think life is too short not to allow yourself the good things. I also find that when I deprive myself of the things I crave, I tend to over eat  on other things. Thats just my own philosophy. For all of you who feel the same as me, here is a wonderfully yummy dessert that I am making tonight to go along with our fish tacos. I belive the inspiration for this came from the show "Simply Delicioso" from the Cooking Channel. I am calling my version Mexican Ice Cream Caramel Apple Chimichangas (whew! say that 3 times fast). So without further ado, here is the recipe:

Mexican Ice Cream Caramel Apple Chimichangas
(serves 2)

1/2 C oil
1 apple skinned and sliced (I am using a pink lady)
1 T cinnamon sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 T prepared caramel sauce
2 flour tortillas
Confectioners sugar for dusting
Honey for drizzling
Extra cinnamon for dusting
Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream

Heat the oil  in a a small saute pan over medium low heat. In a microwave-safe bowl combine apple slices, cinnamon sugar, caramel and lemon juice. Microwave this mixture for about 1 minute until caramel sauce is loosened and apples are heated through. Place 1/2 mixture on a flour tortilla and roll it up like a burrito. Repeat with the other half of the mixture. *You may have to use tooth picks to secure the tortilla. Fry the tortilla in the oil until the chimichanga is golden brown. Let cool for 1 minute on paper towels. Cut on the bias and dust with confectioners sugar and cinnamon and drizzle with honey. Enjoy with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment